Council Tool Wood Handle Flathead Axe – Sold in Packs of 4
Flathead firemen’s style single bit axe with curved handle. Dayton patterned head. Used in all manner of municipal fire fighting applications – chopping, battering, door stop, etc.
Sold in Packs of 4
Forged tool steel head. Cutting edge is approximately 5″ in overall length and the poll is square.
- Body fully polished, hand sharpened tapered cutting edge and pick.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition
- Body coated with fire engine red enamel and the cutting edges in clear lacquer to deter rust
- Curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2″ of the overall length of the handle is removed during assembly
- Made in the USA